EVs and Charging Etiquette

Electric vehicles (EVs) are becoming increasingly popular as a more sustainable mode of transportation. With the growing number of EV owners, it is essential to understand the importance of charging etiquette to ensure a smooth and stress-free charging experience for all. In this article, we will provide tips and guidelines to help EV owners practice proper charging etiquette, including how to manage time, monitor charging progress, and avoid common mistakes like unplugging other vehicles or always aiming for 100% battery charge. By following these guidelines, EV owners can help create a positive charging culture and promote a more sustainable future.

Charging Spots Are for Charging

To ensure a smooth and courteous charging experience for all, it is important to use charging points solely for their intended purpose: charging. If your EV requires immediate charging, park it in the designated charging space. Once your charging is complete, promptly move your vehicle to make room for the next EV owner. Avoid treating charging stations as parking spots, as this can inconvenience other EV drivers. Utilize smartphone apps to monitor your charging progress and receive notifications when your vehicle is fully charged, allowing you to move it outside. For charging spots with waitlists, a virtual line is created when all points are booked, and drivers are notified when a spot becomes available. We recommend spending no more than 10 minutes at public charging stations after your car is charged to minimize wait times for other drivers. Remember, courteous charging behavior benefits everyone in the EV community.

Don’t Unplug Other Vehicles

However tempting, refrain from unplugging other vehicles at charging bays. Unplugging someone else’s EV is not only inconsiderate and potentially damaging to their battery but is also against the law. Even if you believe their car is fully charged, it’s essential to exercise patience and avoid unplugging their vehicle, as EVs have no alternative power source like gasoline or fuel. The only time it is acceptable to unplug someone else’s EV is if they have left a note granting permission to do so. As an EV owner, it’s good practice to leave a note for other drivers if you know you’ll be away from your vehicle for an extended period. Estimate your charging time and leave a note to inform other drivers if it’s your turn to charge. By following these guidelines, we can all contribute to a better EV charging experience for all.

Don’t Overstay Your Charge—Keep Track of Time

Respect other EV drivers’ time by using an app to track your charging time. With the VinFast app, you can monitor your charging session and get notified when you’re ready to continue your travel. The type of charger available at the station can also help you determine the appropriate time to remain there. Level 3 chargers, for instance, require less time than Level 1 or 2 chargers. Similarly, the battery level of your EV can also affect charging time. A low battery percentage means it takes longer to charge, so staying close to your charging vehicle can help you avoid overcharging. Keeping track of your charging time allows other drivers to utilize the charging station and prevents you from incurring unnecessary fees, such as idle fees. Remember, practicing proper charging etiquette benefits everyone and contributes to a positive charging experience for all.

The experience of driving a VinFast is enhanced when linked to the VinFast App. View your charging session in real time and get ready to go. Set the VinFast App to notify you when target charge level is reached. The VinFast App lets you control the ownership and usage of your vehicle. You can plan your route, start charging, manage payments, set charging profiles, monitor energy usage plus more.

Don’t Always Aim for 100%

If you can, it’s best not to aim for a full 100% charge when charging your EV battery—instead aim for 80%. This is because charging up to 80% takes less time, and beyond that point, the charging process slows down significantly. It’s important to keep in mind that other drivers may be waiting for the same charging bay, so opting to charge only up to 80% can help reduce waiting queues and save time for everyone. You can charge the remaining percentage at the next charging station on your route, at home, or at your final destination. If you do need to charge the remaining percentage at a charging station, consider using a Level 2 charger instead of a fast charger. This can help lower your charging costs, as charging station fees are based on the energy consumed, and charging for longer periods increases your costs. By following these tips, you can optimize your charging experience while being considerate to other EV drivers.

Conclusion

To ensure you’re being a responsible EV driver, remember to follow the above etiquette tips, such as avoiding the temptation to unplug other drivers’ vehicles or staying longer than necessary. Additionally, it’s essential to monitor your charging progress, even when you’re not near your vehicle. Lastly, aim to charge your battery up to 80% instead of 100% to save time and prevent unnecessary waits for everyone!

1. I’m new here to the group, but not new to autos in general, I’ve been following VinFast for a good year now. I went to the LA Auto Show and experienced the VF8 and even took a test drive while there, I just that too much emphasis was put on speed and I understand the logic but sometimes you have to go to the real issue or issues about this vehicle, we need to understand that updates don’t fix mechanical problems 80% of the time only internal code in the software ok, but why is there not enough emphasis on the infrastructure of where all the owner’s anxiety points at? What I mean is that the answer is not to create infinitely bigger batteries to get more range; we do not need more range, we need faster and more dependable ways to charge these EVs, this will create a whole new spectrum of reliability for VinFast, everything else will start to fall into place after this is accomplished. Maybe too many bells and whistles are taking away crucial energy while the car is parked or being charged. I think if it was up to me I would have halted all operations and told the whole VinFast plant in Vietnam to fix the problems there rather than risk issues that have been seen these past months and come out with a stable reliable EV and not one with either 12V battery issues or the main battery not charging to a good capacity? If VinFast just would stop and take these considerations more seriously, then things will start to look up, but it just seems like sometimes the push is more important and what happens to companies that don’t listen to their owners, and more serious problems could eventually unfold. I really hope that the Chairman and round table investors do understand what is really happening outside of their offices overseas. I really do want this company to succeed but many measures have to be placed at a faster pace and satisfaction of their customers should be number one priority!

1. Hello Javier! 
      Thank you for showing interest to our product, we appreciate your support for our company.  
      We always value our customer’s feedback and record for further improvement of our product and service quality. We are working on our batteries development, as well as expanding our charging network and looking deeply into all our customer’s vehicle issues. VinFast hopes that our customer will continue to follow our efforts and future improvements. One again, we value customer’s feedback and take your satisfaction as our top priority.
      Please feel free to reach out if you still have questions. You can also contact us at 1-833-503-0600 and we will be more than happy to assist! Have a great one!